Saturday, March 21, 2009

(still cooking)

Spring Chicken

I baked a chicken--whole chicken. First time ever. I used a recipe from the cook book that I won-- Food to Live By from Earthbound Organic. The recipe called for things like Meyer Lemons and fresh rosemary. I didn't happen to have any Meyer Lemons on Wednesday night in the UP so I used Tropicana Some Pulp orange juice. Hmmm OJ / Meyer Lemons --pretty much the same thing--right?
Mostly following the recipe (Kathy's Rosemary-Roasted Chicken) it was quite tastey.
Here's what I did:
1 thawed whole chicken
Olive oil spray
3 cloves of garlic chopped up
1/2 cup OJ
A few tablespoons dry rosemary
Some cayenne pepper
Spray the chicken with olive oil then sprinkle cayenne and some rosemary and garlic on the non-breast side of the chicken. Pour a little bit of OJ on it. Flip the chicken over so the breast-side is up. Tuck some rosemary and garlic between the skin and the chicken breast. Pour the rest of the OJ over the chicken and sprinkle with some cayenne and rosemary and garlic. Bake the chicken breast-side up for about 1 1/2 hours.
I bet if you follow the recipe and use Meyer Lemons it will look just like the picture below. :)

No comments: